PATHLLC is writing this letter in protest to the PATH project (PSC Case 09-0770-E-CN), which has been proposed by Allegheny Energy and American Electric.You have already authorized TrAIL to proceed with plans.There are already too many high voltage transmission lines bisecting the state.Are you going to approve PATH as well?Are your people going to “cut a deal?” like they did in the final meeting of the PSC and TrAIL hearings despite the recommendations and expert witness testimony that TrAIL was not needed?
I have a problem with this PATH project on multiple levels, and this is why:
1. This project is coal based and we are supposed to be moving into renewable and alternative energy resource areas.
2. This project will increase emissions from coal fired power plants.You nor Allegheny Power or American Electric have the authority to dictate that WV citizens must now inhale increased pollution simply because the power companies lack the wherewithal to come up with better solutions, are too short-term oriented and too cheap to explore renewable energy or to upgrade existing lines.
3. This project may create some jobs, but it will not create “green” jobs. With government funding earmarked for green businesses development and entrepreneurs embarking into more green areas, in the long run, this coal fired project will not be in West Virginia’s best interest.If this project is approved it could bring on the need of at least 6-8 more coal fired energy plants.It does not take a rocket scientist to see that we are taking a step backward with this project and we personally have a problem with your smokescreen of “more jobs” and with you manipulating the public into thinking that you have done something great when clearly it is your political career, of which you are always acting in the best interest and not the welfare of the people that live in West Virginia.
4. Enough of coal companies taking advantage of West Virginia citizens already.These companies mainly benefit stockholders and executives who live out of state, or worse yet, are foreign entities.For example:Recently 100% of shares and interests of Bluestone Industries, a West Virginia owned coal entity organization, were sold to Mechel OAO (a Russian mining and metal company.)Is selling WV property to foreign entities what you consider to be a good West Virginian trait?A trait that you personally condone as you “steer WV into the future of pollution and waste?”Unfortunately, it doesn’t appear that you have the best interest of citizens at heart.
5.If you allow this project, you will be playing an active role in defacing the beauty of our state.
6.If you approve and support this project then you are also playing a role in taking advantage of West Virginia citizens and ignoring the ramifications on the long term economy of the state.This project will continue to over-emphasize coal jobs (which we suspect that you will attempt to convince them is a good thing) and will decrease emphasis on higher education and entrepreneurship/creative thinking/alternative economic development.Where does that leave the people 10-20 years from now?With no job skills and a ruined ecosystem and landscape?They will not be able to be competitive in the job market.You will essentially have convinced them that coal today is more important than West Virginia tomorrow.If this project is approved, this is one more step in the slow destruction of our state, a destruction that will eventually turn our state into a badland of waste and pollution and physical deformities and sicknesses.More of our citizens will be forced to live in poverty with no job skills.The fact that you haven’t even thought of this displays how backward thinking you really are and that clearly you have your own political agenda at heart. 7. Have you read the recent article covered by the WV Gazette written by Dr. Michael Hendryx – WVU Researcher?Coal costs 42 billion dollars per year.It only brings in 8 billion.Why are you such a die hard coal supporter?Can you not perform simple math?\
8. On your webpage it states that you earned a reputation for standing up for citizens of West Virginia.I do not feel that this is true.You have manipulated them into thinking that you have fought for them while in reality you are using them as sacrificial lambs in order to further your political career.You convince the people to work in coal and in turn these workers and people in their respective communities acquire increased rates of asbestosis, kidney disease, lung cancer, heart disease, mesothelioma, silicosis, and a plethora of other diseases.While our citizens shoulder the burden for coal, we receive the added bonus of having our land stripped away.It doesn’t seem as if you fight for us at all.We think you are a coward.
9. You webpage also states that you have “improved our economic climate.”This statement is not supported because the number of coal jobs is decreasing and West Virginia continues to suffer higher poverty rates and lower income levels compared to the rest of the country.And to create this weaker economy you also deface our physical environment. For more information, visit www.bigbadcoal.com.
10. Lastly, this project blatantly disrespects the heritage of our state by crossing over private property without regard to history of the land.Apparently you have not thought of this either.
My Question to You Governor Manchin:
Do you understand the concept of Fascism?It is “a political regime ideologically based on centralized government, government control of business, repression of criticism or opposition, a leader cult and exalting the state and/or religion above individual rights.14 common characteristics of the Fascist regimes ofHitler, Mussolini, Franco, Suharto, and Pinochet have been identified.These include:
Characteristic #2:Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights: Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc. Joe - You ignore basic human rights of the people living in coal communities who are forced to drink contaminated water. You ignore the people whose children are sick and dying and the people that have acquired strange diseases from living in close proximity to mountain top removal or coal processing plants.
Characteristic #3: Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause - The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc. Joe - you are forever trying to rally people to support coal, regardless of what research shows CLICK HERE. You try to convince the people that coal is threatened and that our state will be ruined without coal. You make people fear for their jobs. You are always whining and complaining that people are attacking coal. You cater to Massey and Blankenship, who send out thugs to harrass those fighting for the environment and for basic human rights. You put a fear factor about coal in all of your speeches. You are a liar.
Characteristic #6: Controlled Mass Media - Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common. Joe - everyone knows that the media covers up your mistakes.
Characteristic #9:Corporate Power is Protected:The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite. Joe - need I say more about the way coal controls you and about the way you blindly support it at the expense of EVERYONE else in the state except for the coal miners and their families? Need I mention your "deals" with the power companies?
Characteristic 10: Labor Power is Suppressed - Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed. Joe - tsk tsk joey boy. Massey Energy eliminated the union and now pays low wages, has unsafe mines, and plays a role in blowing up our mountains. You are a supporter of Massey Energy, as shown by your "coal meetings" and your repeated rants about "Coal is Good!"
Characteristic 13: Rampant Cronyism and Corruption - Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.
Do these characteristics resonate within you Governor Manchin?Does they seem familiar if you apply it to the concept of Allegheny Energy and American Electric Power applying to the WV PSC for the distinction of “public utility based on need” at the expense of WV Virginia citizens health and private property?
Perhaps this term is appropriate when applied to your regime, taking into account the Russian ownership of WV Coal and your apparent support of the “mountain holocaust.”
Governor Manchin, if the WV PSC declares PATH a public utility and grants them the authority of eminent domain – essentially private ownership of property will be abolished to some extent.This is a problem.If WV citizens wanted to live under dictatorship they would move to North Korea.Perhaps you need to add this description to your website and future campaign as you embark on a career in the Senate.It would appear that if you support this project that in essence you are supporting the abolition of private property ownership.If people were to honestly read between the lines and could remove their focus from “the next paycheck” and extend their vision into the actual future and economic well being of the state and of future generations then you would be hard pressed to find citizens rallying to bring in fascist rule.
Governor Manchin(possibly to be known as WV’s own Kim Jong-il), you are the chairman-elect of the Southern States Energy Board.A project of the Southern States Energy Board is the “Southeast Regional Carbon Sequestration Partnership” which focuses on “clean” coal and carbon capture.If you support PATH, essentially you are supporting dirty coal and more coal fired energy plants.You are a walking contradiction.It is unbelievable that you successfully managed to convince the majority of West Virginia residents to vote for you.Most of these people weren’t aware of the PATH project.It was quite strategic to have the election first and then hit the people with PATH and the extra dirty coal fired plants.
In a top news story August 11, 2008 it was stated that you planned to “push renewable energy projects ranging from hydroelectric dams to solar power in West Virginia.”Yet you have been quoted as saying “"There is no replacement for coal. There might be 30 or 50 or 100 years from now, but there's not today."
Which is it?Or is this just another contradiction in your ploy to manipulate the people?
So Joe, now I ask you, do you know the definition of Treason: "Betrayal of one's soveriegn or nation"
Joe - by your support of Mountain Top Removal, and the resulting contamination of water, soil and air leading to higher mortality rates and illness prevalences - in addition to your support of exposing people to EMF by high voltage transmission lines that are not needed, your support of our weakened economy that is controlled by corrupt coal - YOU are betraying your soveriegn. You are betraying the people of WV for your own political advancment. An entity is only as strong as its weakest link. You are making WV weak, thus decreasing the strength of the rest of the nation.
Everything being said, I would also like to ask you:Do you know the definition of Impeachment?
“A formal document charging a public official with misconduct in office.”
Doesn’t it seem that with all of the negative long term ramifications of the PATH project that I have clearly laid out in this letter for you, since apparently you have not thought of these issues on your own, that your support of said project would be considered misconduct and gross negligence for the long term well-being of the citizens of West Virginia?In our opinion -your parallel approval of condoning Russian ownership of WV entities could perhaps be construed as borderline treason.
Or do you not consider Russian ownership of WV, permanent destruction of the landscape, stripping private property from landowners, and the worsening economic crisis and health status of our state a threat?
Personally, I do.
Rachelle Channell People Against Transmission Hell-Lines LLC Intervenor - PATH case BS Psychology MPH - Master of Public Health